The expression is "when in doubt"...
Here are some of the expressions that are paired with this:
These are from Brainyquotes, you have to go over there to see them all - they aren't easily copied.
- When in doubt wear red. ~ Bill Blass
- When in doubt, don't. ~ Benjamin Franklin
- Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. ~ Napoleon Hill
- A conservative is someone who makes no changes and consults his grandmother when in doubt. ~ Woodrow Wilson
- When in doubt tell the truth. ~ Mark Twain
When I look through quotes, I am amazed at the diverse range of people being quoted. From Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain to current comedians to names I don't recognize. So I chose one randomly - Ken Thompson.
Ken Thompson - When in doubt, use force.
Ken Thompson is a computer scientist who worked on the Unix operating system. Here is my favourite:
Ken Thompson was once asked what he would do differently if he were redesigning the UNIX system. His reply: "I'd spell creat with an e."